Thursday, 23 October 2014

Allotment Update - October 19th

My primary focus for this sunday's session at the allotment was do some digging to help re-define a path between my allotment and the one further up the hill as none of the allotments around me have been worked for at least a year or so and the paths have just disappeared. Im hoping that the three surrounding allotments will all be given new owners next year so I wanted to get this bit of work done long before anyone new turns up so that there are no potential issues over the definition of it.

Here are the before pictures:



And here is the newly re-discovered path (set to the same width as all the other paths between the other allotments):



Admittedly not the most exciting bit of work Ive ever done but was still quite pleased with the outcome.

I had a bit of help from my Dad again and he was carrying on his work with fitting out the metal shed with some storage. Im not 100% sure what his plans are, and he has taken away some of the wood to chop up and build at home, but here are a couple of work in progress pictures:






Earlier on in the week I finished off building a couple of planters to go in front of this shed that will each have a blueberry bush in them. I managed to get them both in position but I ran out of ericaceous compost so I only got one of the blueberry bushes planted this time



My garlic and winter onions are starting to come through nicely now, they all have a few weeds coming through as well though so I'll have to take care of that in the near future





The green manure I have planted in several of the beds is looking quite impressive at the moment:


My potatoes are not looking so good though :-( 






Finally, the base I laid for the new shed has turned out pretty well and the shed is now on order and due for delivery at the end of October, right about the time of my birthday so its basically a birthday present to mysel :-)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Graham

    Your photos bring back very happy memories from over 40 years ago, when I ran a 6 pole allotment in Harpenden, Herts. It was hard work at first but very rewarding.
    These days I live in Melbourne Australia, and growing conditions are very much different. We have very mild winters and frosts are rare, but summers are fiercely hot and windy.
    Drought is a consideration in the way we grow our vegies and you might be interested in how we cope with it. If so take a look at my blog at http://jas49580.blogspot.com.au/. I will be most interested in how your allotment developes. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read the blog and post a comment John, its always nice to know that someone other than me is actually reading what Im writing. I will be reading through your blog over the next day or two although drought is definitely not a problem it looks like I will be facing the near future :-)

    ReplyDelete